Follow Philippe Legrain on Twitter Follow Philippe Legrain on YouTube Follow Philippe Legrain on Facebook Email me
By Philippe Legrain 3 COMMENTS

There is an interesting article in The Times about Brits who had been living in Spain returning home because of the economic crisis.

Tellingly, though, they are referred to as "expats" throughout.

It seems that British people abroad aren't migrants, or worse still immigrants.

That's a term we reserve for nasty foreigners.

Posted 16 May 2009 in Blog
  1. d_yanera says:

    Hi, Philippe! I completely agree. Seems like only the poorer people can be called inmigrant.
    I’m reading your book “Inmigrantes.Tu país los necesita”, the spanish version of “Inmigrant. Your country needs them”. And I love it and I’ll recommend it to people I know who have a lot of prejudices about the immigration.
    I want to tell you that I have the same point of view about the right of all people around the world to fins a better life and live wherever they want.

  2. Stephen Page says:

    ‘Expat’ indicates someone PERMANENTLY residing abroad using their OWN income as opposed to immigrants who may rely on state handouts.
    Take your ideological blinkers off.

  3. Jack says:

    Of course a British newspaper referring to Britons living abroad isn’t going to term them “immigrants”. From a British perspective, such people are (obviously) emigrants.
    And you actually wrote a whole book on this subject?

Leave a reply